Make this week’s Taco Tuesday guilt-free—swap out the tortilla and usual meat selections for fresh oyster mushrooms, tofu, and a fresh, crispy leaf of lettuce. In 20 minutes you’ll be enjoying some tasty Teriyaki Mushroom Lettuce Wraps full of fiber and omega-3 fats!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6-8 lettuce wraps
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil,
- 3 cups oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped,
- 7 oz firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes,
- 1 tsp ginger, minced,
- 2 garlic cloves, minced,
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce,
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce,
- 2 tsp sesame seeds.
- 6-8 Romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves,
- 4 tbsp carrots, shredded,
- 3 tbsp purple cabbage, shredded,
- 3 tbsp broccoli, shredded,
- 1 scallion, sliced,
- 1 tbsp cilantro,
- 2 tbsp dry unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped.
SRIRACHA YOGURT SAUCE
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt,
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or to taste)
1. First heat sesame seed oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms when the oil is hot. Then sauté for 4-5 minutes until the water released by the mushrooms has evaporated.
2. Lower the heat to medium-low and add tofu, garlic and ginger. Stir well. Sauté while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until the tofu is lightly browned.
3. Add teriyaki sauce and soy sauce to the mushrooms and tofu and stir to combine. Sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes. Then stir in the sesame seeds, mix well, and cook for another minute.
4. In a small bowl, mix together plain Greek yogurt and Sriracha sauce until well combined.
5. To serve: fill each lettuce leaf with the mushroom tofu filling and top with shredded carrots, purple cabbage, broccoli, scallions, cilantro and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Top with Sriracha Yogurt sauce as desired and enjoy!
Make it vegan: Substitute Greek yogurt with a vegan plain soy yogurt.
Grow your own food!
Harvest fresh oyster mushrooms with our grow-your-own kits—just water and grow!
The Back to the Roots Mushroom Kit is the easiest way to grow your own organic & gourmet mushrooms at home!