Switch up your breakfast (or snack) routine with healthy homemade cereal bars! Unlike the store-bought ones, these bars have no preservatives and are easy to make. You can use any seasonal fruit preserves for the filling, or go for our homemade Sweet & Savory Apricot Sage Jam!
- 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup Back to the Roots Biodynamic Cinnamon Clusters
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 half-pint jar of apricot sage jam
- turbinado sugar (optional)
Makes nine, 3-inch bars
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a blender, add oats, slivered almonds, flaxseed meal, cinnamon cereal and whole wheat flour. Pulse until smooth and blended (about 7-9 pulses).
3. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cardamom, nutmeg, salt, and coconut oil. Add the dry ingredients and baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix together. Using your hands, bring the dough together into a ball. Tip: If the dough is too crumbly, you might need to add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
4. Roll the dough out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Use your hands to patch up any holes and to shape into a 10 x 10 rectangle. Cut the dough into 3 long strips and spoon the jam into the middle. Fold the edges of the dough over the jam and pinch to seal. Cut each strip into 3 bars and flip seam side down, leaving 1 inch of space between each bar.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.