It’s that time of year again… holiday feasts are upon us and we’re digging up our favorite recipes. This year, switch it up and surprise your guests with a dish that’s not just homemade, but homegrown! This delicious (and vegan!) Mushroom Gravy, features oyster mushrooms that you can grow in just 10 days. Add a hint of rosemary and thyme, and you’ll have the perfect savory gravy over garlic mashed potatoes or fluffy biscuits.
Disclaimer: They’ll never know it’s vegan, but it’ll definitely taste homegrown!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Makes: 3 cups
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz (~2 cups) oyster mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp thyme, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. Sauté for 10-12 minutes or until mushrooms have browned. They might stick to the bottom of the pan, don’t worry, you want that!
- Once the mushrooms have browned, carefully add the dry white wine and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated away. Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Pour the flour slurry into the gravy mixture and stir until nice and thick. Remove from heat and add 3 tbsp of vegan butter and stir until the butter is melted in. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve while hot over mashed potatoes or biscuits!